Sunday, April 7, 2013

Thoughts on Frederick Turner

I think having gone through the process of writing my own sonnet a few weeks ago, I was way more amazed than I would have otherwise been.  The rhyme and the meter of his poems is so perfected and brilliant.  When he was reading the first piece, The Undiscovered Country, I would stop on a line to try to understand it and by the time I had caught up he was at the next sonnet!  I really enjoyed the experience of listening to him read and share his own work.

When he introduced The Undiscovered Country, he described the experience of traveling alone, of being in a place where no one else that you know exists.  I was thinking about this scenario as I listened to him read about the traveler's fulfillment, loneliness, and thoughts.  I remember feeling this sweet aloneness one time when I was traveling in Nicaragua.  We had traveled for hours trying to get to this remote spot on an island in Lake Nicaragua.  We got there and were swimming in the lake, and I had this moment of realizing how alone I was.  I had a few friends with me, but besides them, no one in the world knew where I was.  My parents, my boyfriend, and anyone in my normal context had any idea what I was doing at that moment.  It was a weird feeling... one where I felt very alone in a world that was huge and unexplored.  As I listened to Frederick Turner's poem, I was reminded of that moment and the meaning that these experiences add to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment